As I grow older (and perhaps more cynical) there are fewer things that generate a high level of interest because I have experienced so much. The Department of Transport and Main Roads released their new Motorcycle Riders Guide. I handed out many of these at the last Laverda event at the Story Bridge in July. I was surprised how many people were so impressed by the guide. If you get a chance have a look at the attached weblink and make your own judgement. http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/safety/motorcycle-safety/riders-guide/pdf_qld_motorcycle_riders_guide_complete.pdf
Keen to hear your feedback. Curley
Motorcyclists are an interesting breed. Give them a reason to get together for a ride and they’ll jump at it. Make it for a worthy cause and they’ll throw everything they can into it.
I had a chat to one such guy this week. His name is Glenn Martin, he lives in Canberra and has decided to join together with around 50 other riders to ride around Australia raising funds for the Steven Walter Foundation.
Steven Walter was nineteen when he died after an eight year battle with cancer. His whole life revolved around motorcycles, and he was a former NSW Junior Enduro Champion and an Australian Four Day Silver medalist.
Jul 31 by in News & Views
If you think your slow speed skills on a motorcycle are pretty good, check out this video.
Scott McCarthy is a Sergeant with the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department in California. He competed in the Annual Southwest Police Motorcycle Training & Competition in 2009 on a BMW R1200RT.
Impressive! But I bet he’s no match for our local guys
May 30 by in News & Views
Standing amongst a display of 1500 pairs of shoes is an eerie reminder of the number of people who unfortunately lost their lives in road crashes during the last year.
And 300 of those represented motorcyclists.
The display was one of 2 held last Friday in Brisbane and Melbourne to mark Fatality Free Friday, while other supporting events were run around the country to also bring awareness to road safety.
May 24 by in News & Views
This Friday - 28th May, 2010 - is Fatality Free Friday.
It’s the day we aim for zero deaths on our nation’s roads for the day.
Whether you’re riding a motorcycle, driving a car, a truck, or any other of form of vehicle on our roads this Friday you can do your part to help achieve this worthwhile goal.
Where are all the girls??
With the increasing number of females returning to riding, or riding a motorcycle for the first time - why can’t I find any female rider groups on the Gold Coast!!!
If you live in the Sth East Qld, Gold Coast or Northern NSW areas and are interested in leaving the guys at home to enjoy social rides … and the all important coffee/natter stops with other like-minded females … please let us know.
MATES is a community run, non-profit organisation and as such requires certain protocols to be followed. One of those protocols is the election of a Management Committee to oversee the operation of the group.
The management committee comprises 7 members - a Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer, and 4 other members.
Unfortunately, one of our Management Committee members has needed to step down from his role due to personal reasons, leaving a vacancy that we need to fill. We are currently accepting nominations from people who would like to be considered for the vacant position on the committee.
Apr 13 by in News & Views
Behind every fatality and serious injury statistic there are thousands of stories. Around 1600 people die on Australian roads each year and another 140 people are seriously injured each day, requiring ongoing care. Thousands more are affected by road trauma through their work in the emergency services, legal professions and disability sector.
Unfortunately, we probably all know someone who has been affected by road trauma. Sandra Cook knows all too well - her father was killed in a freak traffic accident in 2004.
Together with Kerry Sunderland, the Adelaide-based producer and film-maker has created an online social network community called Journey Beyond Road Trauma.
Apr 12 by in News & Views
Two award-winning road safety organisations have joined forces in a bid to save lives on Australian roads.
Fatality Free Friday, Australia’s only community-based national road safety campaign and MATES - Motorcycle Awareness Training Education Safety - will jointly promote this year’s Fatality Free Friday events.
Welcome to the Bike Safe Newsletter 3/2009.
I would like to thank all those that attended the Australian Motorcycle Expo and came and had a chat. Over the three days I would estimate that we had several thousand people visit and ask a variety of questions. 90% of people were very receptive with the other 10% hopefully leaving with a better understanding of the QPS and its policing.